Friday, June 27, 2014

crochet car key cover


Just recently, my husband (finally) acquired his dream car. Then came this dilemma of his. His car key. Why dilemma? Well, he didn’t want any funky and fancy blings to go along with it….especially those made with metals….not even another key!...Those stuffs would just scratch his precious key, he explained. Since he was too busy with training school (goes out pretty early and comes home a bit late and dead tired), he asked me to find him a car key cover made of soft material. Something that wouldn’t do any damage to his car key. Oh boy! Now what? I didn’t feel like going out hunting for his request…and one more thing, I haven’t seen any, yet. Looking at his duplicate key in our bedroom closet, an idea crept to my mind. He mentioned something about soft material right? Well, I’ve got a lot of those…. YARNS! Perhaps I could just make a car key cover for him myself. I spotted a nice shade of blue on my yarn stack. That would do, so let’s start…


Crochet car key cover


Abbreviations used:
St - stitch
Ch – chain
Sl – slip stitch
Sc – single crochet

I'd be using red heart for this project



First Do the magic ring


Row 1 ch 1 then proceed with 1 sc put a stitch marker on the top of thesc at the beginning , 9 sc around the ring , do not join– 10 st including chain. Just make sure there’s a hole in the middle enough for the pull through “string”. We’re gonna make that later.


Row 2 , remove the stitch marker, 1 sc on “that” stitch st, put back the stitch marker on top of the first sc, 1 sc on the same st, 2 sc in each st around. Again do not join- 20 st


Row 3 remove stitch marker, 1 sc on that st where the marker had been,put back the marker, 1 sc in each st around- 20 st


Row 4 continue working your way around till you get the size you wish. Moving the stitch marker as you go. Mine’s 10 rows.


Finishing: remove stitch marker, sl st into the stitch where your marker had been. Cut off the yarn and weave in ends.
For the pull through string, ch 35 (or longer if you wish) insert the tail of the chain into the keyhole. Then join ends with a sl st on the first chain. Another option, you may do a single round of sc. For my project, I prefer to have just the chains. A round of sc would make it hard to pull through the top hole of the cover. You have to make sure it “fits”…then, cut the yarn…weave in ends…..




To assemble, insert your hook on the cover’s hole and pull up the string of chains. At this point you will be needing some sort of stopper or your key would slip. A puff flower? Oh, A cute bow perhaps….or yarn pompons….hmmmm….let’s give pompons a try…I haven’t done that yet….





Whew! All done!












3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea and the instructions are great. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Thanks... semi truck decals

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a "do not copy" keydo not copy key is crucial for maintaining security, especially for sensitive areas in our facility.

    ReplyDelete