Saturday, July 5, 2014

easy crochet summer scarf/ beach cover up!




Lately I've been on the look out for scarves and shawls for I wanted to make some. Then I saw this triangular mesh summer scarf on a website. it's airy and summery looking one. The mesh pattern used is very familiar with me. I've used it to make market bags. The designer started at the tip of the triangle. Hmmm... I don't know how to do that but Maybe I could just do it my own way. I'm going to start at the longest part. Inspiration hit me! Our family road trip is getting nearer and I wanted something to show off alongside my crochet summer hat :-) and so I grabbed my cotton yarn and my not-so-expensive-but-trusty hook and corcheted right away.....before I knew, it was finished! I'ts just big enough to wrap around my neck. That would do, I thought.
 These days, another inspiration keeps on playing in my mind whenever I open my closet and catch a glimpse on my mesh summer scarf. Perhaps I could make a larger one that could also be used as beach cover up! I think I still have enough yarn left from making my scarf last summer. and so here it is, let me show you how....
By the way, this kind of project is super easy to make. It would be a great beginner's project. You could use cotton yarn, or worsted weight......let your imagination run! mine's hand- dyed 8 ply cotton. I used  4mm hook




We'll just be using the basic stitches:

Ch - chain
sc - single crochet
tr - trebble crochet

st - stitch

First, make a slip knot, then chain multiples of 5 as long as you wish. if you plan to use it as a cover up, make sure you could wrap it around your waist and that you could make a knot of course. 

TIP: we'd be making a long chain so it would be a great help to use stitch markers. be it a bobby pin or safety pin or even yarn scraps. Just put one stitch marker for every 50 or 100 chain you make to make final counting much easier and if you somehow lost your count in the process, you don't have to go back counting your chains from the start. Just imagine recounting hundreds of  chains... :-D

row 1 sc on the 10th ch from the hook, *ch 5 skip 4 st and sc on the next st.* repeat * across, stop  when you have 5 st remaining on your long chain, chain 2 skip 4 st  then tr on the very first chain. this technique will make it easier to go to the next row  than making several slip stitches to get to the middle of the ch5 space as you crochet you way up. turn your work...












row 2 *ch 5, sc on the next ch5 space*, keep repeating * across...pausing on the last ch5 space, ch 2 then tr on the middle of the last ch5 space. you can see, as we go up, our "mesh" decreases on both sides. again, turn your work.


row 3 repeat row 2 making sure your work decreases on both sides.



keep on working your way up till you reach the "tip" of your triangle, for the last row, just chain 2 and tr on the 5 chain space of the previous row











Once you've finished yout triangle, you may decide if you want to block it by  a single row of sc around your triangle. For added weight, add some pretty boarder, or just leave it as it is! Just cut off the yarn and weave all ends and there you are! another finished project......wrap it around your torso, around your neck.....or...around your waist!









No comments:

Post a Comment